Back to School Arrangements – updated September 5th 2021
We are really looking forward to welcoming our students back to Isca next week and are now in a position to confirm our plans for the Autumn Term. Our plans are based on the latest government guidance, as well as the additional local guidance being provided currently for the Exeter area.
Staggered Start to the Year and LFT Testing
Current Government guidelines require us to ensure that students have 2 tests taken on site upon their return to school in September. This process remains voluntary and parental consent is needed before we can proceed. Where we already hold consent, this will continue to be valid. If you have not given consent in the past or if your child is joining us in Year 7, please complete the consent form here if you would like your child to take part in the testing Student Testing Consent Form
Only students in Years 7 and 11 will be attending school on the first day of term (8th September 2021), being joined by students in Years 8, 9 and 10 on the second day of term (9th September 2021).
Students with additional needs will be invited by our SENDCo to come into school the day before the start of their year group so that they have an opportunity to familiarise themselves with the environment. The SENDCo will assess the level and nature of support required for each student and will brief parents, the student and staff working with them of any specific arrangements required.
Our test site ID to register to receive results is ICYW
Year 11 – Monday 6th September, from 1pm – 2pm
Year 7 – Monday 6th September, surnames A – G, from 2pm -2:25pm
Year 7 – Monday 6th September, surnames H – P, from 2:25pm -2:50pm
Year 7 – Monday 6th September, surnames Q – Z, from 2:50pm -3:15pm
Year 8 – Tuesday 7th September, from 12.00 – 1:00pm
Year 9 – Tuesday 7th September, from 1.00 – 2:00pm
Year 10 – Tuesday 7th September, from 2.00 – 3:00pm
Years 7 and 11 – Thursday 9th September, during the school day.
Years 8, 9 and 10 – Friday 10th September, during the school day.
Arrival at, and departure from, school in September
- Students should arrive at school no earlier than 8.30am, unless they have made arrangements to attend the quiet club. A pass is required for quiet club, which can be obtained from the school SENDCo by email request: email@example.com
- All students in Years 7, 8 and 9 will enter the building by the small atrium and all students in Years 10 and 11 will enter by the main entrance. Other entrances must not be used.
- Students, staff and parents will be expected to clean their hands using the sanitiser provided when entering and leaving the school building.
- Students, staff and all visitors to the school will be required to wear a face covering when in communal areas and when moving around the classrooms. This is an additional safety measure which will be regularly reviewed based on the current rates of Covid in the area. If your child is exempt from wearing a face covering and you would like an exemption badge for them to wear, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- On arrival students will go to their designated Pastoral Check–in room, the details of these will be displayed at the relevant entrances.
- There will be no vehicle movement on site between 3.10pm and 3.25pm to allow the safe exit of our students.
Timings of the school day
With the introduction of iLife, the school day timings will be as follows:
- 8.30am to 8.45am – Students arrive at school and enter the building via their nominated entrance
- 8.45am to 8.55am – Pastoral check-in
- 8.55am to 9.55am – Period 1
- 9.55 to 10.55am – Period 2
- 10.55 to 11.20am – Year 7/8 Break 1 , Year 9/10/11 Tutor
- 11.20am to 11.45am – Year 7/8 Tutor, Year 9/10/11 Break 1
- 11.45am to 12.45pm – Period 3
- 12.45pm to 1.45pm – Period 4
- 1.45pm to 2.15pm – Break 2
- 2.15pm to 3.15pm – Period 5
- 3.15pm to 4.15pm – Period 6 – see below
Period 6 Sessions
- Monday Period 6 – Year 11, Year 10, Year 9
- Tuesday Period 6 – Year 11, Year 10, Year 7
- Wednesday Period 6 – Year 11, Year 8
All period 6 lessons will be included in your child’s usual school timetable and attendance is expected as it is with any other lesson.
From September, we have added an additional pastoral check in first thing in the morning (8:45 – 8:55) This is one of the most important parts of the day, as tutors will ‘set students up’ for a great day at Isca Academy.
This is to ensure students are supported and have a warm welcome each morning before starting period 1.
The tutor will meet students at the door and welcome them. Their ‘Equipped to Learn’ packs and homework will be checked and students will be given any daily updates. Students who arrive after 8.45 will go to the late room for their pastoral check in.
‘Equipped to Learn’ packs
From September, all students will be given an ‘Equipped to Learn’ pack which should be brought to school each day.
The pack contains the following:
- Mesh Wallet A3, Knowledge Organiser , Homework Book, ‘Track the Text’ book mark
- Mini White Board, Mini Board Wiper, Board Pen Bullet Tip, Purple Pen
- Black Pen, HB Pencil, Large Eraser, 15 cm ruler, Yellow Highlighter
Lunch and Social Time
- Students will have full use of the canteen and their accounts should be topped up using SCOPay as cash will not be accepted. Students will be able to order their food directly in the canteen and meals will be provided in boxes so they can be taken to the designated year group area to be eaten. Year 7 only will be able to use the seating area in the canteen.
- Students will need to wear their face covering at all times when queuing or moving around the canteen. When sitting and eating, of course their face covering can be removed.
- Break and lunch times will be closely supervised and taken in the designated social spaces for each year group. Students will not be able to go to other areas of the school (apart from the canteen) or mix with peers in other year groups.
- The toilets off of the main atrium will be available for all students at break times.
- Students must bring their own water bottles for use in the school day. Water fountains can be used for bottle filling only and should not be used to drink water directly.
- All students should attend school in their full school uniform every day, please note only black socks will be permitted as part of the school uniform. Jackets for students moving from Year 9 into Year 10 can be ordered from Price and Buckland website accessible here https://www.pbuniformonline.co.uk/iscaacademy, as per the specifications given on our uniform page.
- Students in Year 7 to 10 will be expected to have a school PE weather proof jacket from September and these can be ordered from Price and Buckland via the link above. This will allow all PE lessons to take place outside no matter what the weather. Year 11 students can purchase these if they wish.
- There is a requirement (due to local Covid rates) for students, staff and visitors to wear a face covering when in communal areas or moving around the classrooms. When sitting down or when outside face coverings can be removed. We will have face coverings available, should students need them but if they have their own, this is preferable. We will review this regularly and update you if this requirement changes. If your child is exempt from wearing a face covering and you would like an exemption badge for them to wear, please email email@example.com
- Normal expectations apply regarding hair, jewellery, make-up and nails. Please ensure that you remind yourselves of school expectations, as specified on our website in preparation for the start of term.
- The school remains a no mobile phone school and any phone seen on site during the school day will be taken by staff and returned at the end of the day, in line with our school policy.
- Our Ready to Learn (RTL) system will apply as normal.
- Students will be expected to sit in their seating plan in all classrooms.
- Students, like staff, will be expected to clean their hands and study equipment throughout the day using the sanitiser and disinfectant wipes provided.
In September we will launch our new Personal Development programme called ‘iLife’. It encompasses our PSHE lessons, Careers Education, well-being support, and our whole school enrichment provision. Included in your child’s timetable will be iLife lessons, which is where your child will get the chance to do something enriching as part of their normal school day. It will give every student some amazing opportunities that they might not normally get to do. All activities will encompass at least one of the following:
- Develop a new interest
- Develop new skills and qualities (especially employability and workplace skills)
- Stretch and challenge students
- Take advantage of special unique opportunities
- Improve well-being
- Learn in a different way to other lessons.
Overview of the iLife Programme
The iLife Programme will look different for each year group:
Year 7 – Weekly PSHE lessons, Weekly iLife lessons (Tuesday, lesson 6) Students will do a ‘carousel’ of 6-week taster activities
Year 8 – Weekly PSHE lessons, Weekly iLife lessons (Wednesday, lesson 6) Students will choose a new activity each term
Year 9 – Fortnightly Duke of Edinburgh’s Award lessons , Weekly iLife lessons (throughout the week) Students will choose between 2 activities each term
Year 10 – Fortnightly PSHE lessons, Weekly iLife lessons (throughout the week) Students will choose between 2 activities each term
Year 11 – Fortnightly PSHE/iLife lessons (throughout the week) Students will follow a bespoke curriculum designed to meet their needs throughout the year
- Full attendance is expected by all of our students in September.
- If your child is not able to attend school for any reason, please contact the school in the normal way by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the main school number (Tel: 01392 204082) before the start of the school day. If a child does not attend school and no contact has been received from parents, we will contact home to clarify the reason for their absence in the usual way. It is really important that an accurate record of the reasons for absence is kept, so please provide as much detail as possible when contacting us.
- Students must remain at home if they or a member of their household has covid-19 type symptoms. If this is the case please email email@example.com with the details
- If you have any questions or significant concerns regarding the plans, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Year 7 Photo
Our new year 7 students will have their school photos taken on Thursday 9th September.