Careers and Guidance at Isca Academy
Young people are faced with a complex set of demands when preparing themselves for their future careers. All staff share responsibility for preparing children for future careers. Isca Academy aims to ensure that our students are self-confident, resilient, skilled and career aware when they leave us at the end of year 11. The aims of our careers education and guidance is to:
- Raise the aspirations of all students
- Support inclusion, through challenging stereotyping and promoting equality of opportunity
- Encourage participation in continued learning including higher education and further education
- Develop enterprise, entrepreneurial and skills for successful employment
- Ensure all student are in meaningful, education, employment or training when they leave us at the end of year 11
- Aid social mobility and contribute to the economic prosperity of individuals and the local community
- Allow all students to link learning to real life contexts and scenarios
- Focus students on their future aspirations and support them in achieving these
- Involve parents and carers to support their children, through raising an awareness of local labour market information, opportunities and the latest careers information
The Statutory Guidance: Careers guidance and access for education, and training providers (October 2018) is the long term plan to build “a World class careers system that will help young people and adults choose the career that is right for them”. Its aims are as follows:
All young people in secondary school get a programme of advice and guidance that is stable, structured and delivered by individuals with the right skills and experience. All schools and colleges are to achieve the 8 Gatsby benchmarks by September 2020:
- A stable careers programme.
- Learning from career and labour market information.
- Addressing the needs of each student.
- Linking curriculum learning to careers.
- Encounters with employers and employees.
- Experiences of workplaces.
- Encounters with further and higher education.
- Personal Guidance.
The results of our initial audit of current careers education and provision against the 8 Gatsby Benchmarks can be viewed here:
Isca Academy is committed to providing a planned programme of careers education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG) for all students in Years 7-11, in partnership with the Heart of The Southwest Careers Hub
Download the parent and carers pack from Amazing Apprenticeships
For further information about our careers programme contact: Gary King, Deputy Headteacher, Telephone: 01392 204082; Email: email@example.com
There are a wide range of opportunities for students leaving Isca Academy at 16. Our staff help students to make the right choices and will support them as much as they need throughout the process.
The majority of our students progress on to Exeter College when they leave Isca. Exeter College is an Outstanding (Ofsted 2012 and 2014) establishment that provides a huge range of opportunities for the city’s young people. Alternatively, depending on their needs, some of our students may decide to go to one of the city’s Independent sixth forms, a sixth form outside the city, or Bicton College. Some seek employment with training.
Many of our students progress on to some of the best universities in the country.
Post-16 Education – Update May 2020
Exeter College have shared a link to their ‘Flying Start’ activities available to all applying students: https://exe-coll.ac.uk/flyingstart . A second chapter of activities will be launched after May half-term.
Cornwall College will be holding a virtual open day between 5pm and 7pm on 14th May 2020 to showcase the courses on offer. There will also be opportunities to engage in Live Chats with the college team if you have any questions. If this is of interest to your child, please follow the link below:
Bicton College have also provided links to information and activities which may be of interest to your child:
Duchy College foundation learning – https://www.facebook.com/duchycollegeskillsforlife/
Bicton College Foundation Learning – https://www.facebook.com/FLBicton/
Military & Protective Services Academy – https://www.facebook.com/Duchycollegemilitaryacademy/
Sport, Adventure Sport and Fitness – https://www.facebook.com/staustellfitness/ and https://www.facebook.com/Duchysportsandoutdooradventure/
If you have any questions or concerns regarding post-16 education which you have not been able to clarify through your provider, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs Jan Taylor at Isca Academy on: firstname.lastname@example.org