We believe our students are worth celebrating at Isca Academy. Every day, our young people work incredibly hard. We are proud of all academic progress, no matter what the student’s starting point. We never cease to be amazed by the commitment of our students to the wider curriculum, representing the Academy through sport, music, drama, Ten Tors, and public speaking. Perhaps most importantly, we recognise kindness, friendship and the building of positive relationships as essential to the unique ethos of our school.
We have three core aims when we praise our students:
- To promote intrinsic motivation: pride in working hard
- To celebrate academic progress
- To recognise students who help others, show kindness, or make positive changes in their learning behaviour
Isca Academy is a truly comprehensive school with a diverse student body. To reflect this, we recognise students’ effort and progress in a variety of ways:
- In the classroom, teachers award House Points through the Class Charts system
- Teachers use phone calls and postcards home to share good news with parents
- Our weekly ‘Student of the Week’ board celebrates the successes of one student from every year group
- Ten students from across the Academy join Miss Mitchell for ‘Hot Chocolate Friday’ in recognition of their kindness to others or positive changes
- Outdoor Education Awards Evening celebrates success in Duke of Edinburgh scheme and Ten Tors
- End of term assemblies celebrate attendance and sporting achievement
- Our most prestigious event of the year, Awards Evening, recognises outstanding progress and success in the previous academic year
The ways in which we recognise and praise our young people, must inspire our students to be and achieve their very best. Because of this, we are reviewing our rewards systems with updates to be announced in January 2020.