The library at Isca is a light and spacious area providing a welcoming and supportive environment for students to develop confidence and enjoy reading.
Isca Academy has developed a strong reading culture, including daily tutor reading from Isca’s anthology selected by our English team. 10 minutes reading at the start of each English lesson and weekly library sessions for KS3.
Before, during and after school students can browse and borrow our resources, read in our comfortable seating areas, undertake research and complete homework.
The Library is located in G57.
Covid 19 is delaying the full opening of our library but methods are in place to ensure that students are able to access resources.
What We Have to Offer
- Fiction books to choose from, across a wide range of genres and authors
- Graphic Novels and Manga
- Resources for dyslexic and reluctant readers
- Students can borrow up to 2 books for 2 weeks
- Chromebooks are available for homework, AR quizzing and school-related internet based research
- Regular library sessions for all English sets across KS3.
- The library hosts Study Club Monday-Thursday 3.15-4pm.
- A photocopier for student use
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I do homework in the library?
Yes, study club is in the library Monday to Thursday 3.15 – 4.00pm
Who works in the library?
In the library you can find full-time Librarian Mrs Kenyon and during break and lunch times we have support from Student Librarians.
When are we open?
Term time only:
Monday to Friday: 08:30 – 3.15pm
Study Club Monday to Friday 3.15 – 4pm
What to Read Next?
If you enjoy DAVID WALLIAMS try:
If you enjoy HARRY POTTER try:
If you enjoy THE HUNGER GAMES try:
If you enjoy FAULT IN OUR STARS try:
Read our Book Reviews, and send us your own!
Isca is a Reading School
Tutor reading (to follow)
English Library lessons
During the Pandemic, Library lessons will follow the schedule below as we are not able to use the Library itself. Instead, boxes of wonderful books are placed in classrooms and used as a mobile library station.
An Isca Library Lesson during the Pandemic
- Welcome and register
- Your English Teacher will read to the class for 10 minutes followed by a brief discussion of what has been read.
- Students choose their reading books and read in silence for 30 minutes
- Chromebooks will be made available for quizzing at least once a fortnight. You can also quiz at home.
What is it?
- Accelerated Reader is a computer-based programme that schools may use to monitor reading practice and progress.
- It helps teachers guide students to books that are on students’ individual reading levels.
- Students take short quizzes after reading a book to check if they’ve understood it and earn points for themselves and their English class.
More information can be found about Accelerated Reader here: https://www.renaissance.com/2016/09/09/parents-guide-renaissance-accelerated-reader-360/
- To access the Accelerated Reader website for your current book level, track your progress and take quizzes follow this link https://ukhosted107.renlearn.co.uk/1892265
Username: First letter of your First name followed by the first four of your surname e.g. Jane Smith would be JSMIT
Any issues with logging in please email email@example.com