Starting at Isca Academy
Moving to secondary school can be both exciting and daunting. This is even more so now, in these unusual times when we are not able to do so many of the things we normally take for granted, such as seeing our family and friends or going to the park. We are committed to helping you make your transition from Primary to Secondary School as smooth as possible.
At the bottom of the page you will find copies of all the letters and information that we send out to you so you can refer to it if you need to.
Dates for your Diary
- Wednesday, 6th July 2022: 4.30 – 6.30pm: Welcome Evening for all of our new Year 7 Parents and students
- Thursday 7th and Friday 8th July: Transition Days for our new Year 7 students
- Summer School details to follow
Our Year 6 Transition Pledge
As part of the Ted Wragg Trust we are working closely together to ensure that the move between primary and secondary schools is a supported, personalised and smooth one, which recognises the needs of each individual child.
Isca Academy is part of the Ted Wragg Trust, which enables us to create exciting opportunities together which will prepare you for the future. The Trust schools have made a pledge to all of our students.
Our pledge to you for transition, at Isca Academy.
- We will do everything we can to ensure that every Ted Wragg Trust child has the best possible transition between Primary and Secondary schools. We will stay in contact with all Primary schools and provide contact details so communication can be effective and timely.
- We will provide every child with exciting opportunities including:
- A video introducing and preparing every child to secondary school life.
- Every child will receive a book to read by the time they start secondary school. An audio file will also available to support them with this.
- A chance to complete a writing task. This will involve writing to their new tutor, introducing themselves, outlining what their hobbies are, what they are looking forward to about starting at their secondary school, as well as what they are worried about.
- An introductory Maths course via our exciting and highly successful SPARX programme. ‘SPARX Maths’ (SMVC/ Sparx Maths virtual classroom). This programme is used to deliver Maths in all of our Trust Secondary schools.
- A Knowledge Organiser ‘Getting to know your school’ and instructions on how to use ‘cover, write check’ as a method to check what your child has learnt about their Secondary school.
Making transition safe and meaningful
We will continue to keep you updated with the opportunities we can offer over the coming weeks. Please be reassured that:
- Transition leads have met with the Year 6 teachers, SENDCo’s and other key staff to discuss every child joining their school and we are continuing to work with them throughout the transition process.
- Transition leads will continue to communicate with the primary school headteacher and Year 6 teachers to keep them informed of any new communications and developments of the transition and the opportunities that we will provide our young people.
If you have any questions about starting at Isca Academy, please email them to Intake2022@iscaexeter.co.uk and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
The following staff can be contacted if you have specific questions:
Mrs Ali Moxey, Assistant Head, responsible for Transition, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Henry Goldson, Head of Year 7, email@example.com
Ms Abi Davies, Head of Learning Support, responsible for enhanced transition, SENCO@iscaexeter.co.uk
Mrs Janet Lee, Transition Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org
For a full list of uniform requirements please have a look at our Uniform page. To order uniform from our suppliers, please see the link below.
A Virtual tour of Isca Academy with Mr Goldson, Head of Year 7
Our letters and Information
We will keep copies of all the letters and information that we send out to you so you can refer to it if you need to.