Starting at Isca Academy
Moving to secondary school can be both exciting and daunting. This is even more so now, in these unusual times when we are not able to do so many of the things we normally take for granted, such as seeing our family and friends or going to the park. We are committed to helping you make your transition from Primary to Secondary School as smooth as possible.
At the bottom of the page you will find copies of all the letters and information that we send out to you so you can refer to it if you need to.
Dates for your Diary
- 23rd – 27th August 2021: Summer School – details here: 2021 Summer School
Our Year 6 Transition Pledge
As part of the Ted Wragg Trust we are working closely together to ensure that the move between primary and secondary schools is a supported, personalised and smooth one, which recognises the needs of each individual child.
Isca Academy is part of the Ted Wragg Trust, which enables us to create exciting opportunities together which will prepare you for the future. The Trust schools have made a pledge to all of our students.
Our pledge to you for transition, at Isca Academy.
- Do everything we can to ensure that every child has the best possible transition between Primary and Secondary school.
- Find a time for you to visit our school.
- Ensure you are fully informed and are able to ask questions at any time of year.
We are committed to fully supporting your child in their transition by providing:
- Every child with a book to read by the time they start secondary school.
- An opportunity for every child to write to their new tutor, introducing themselves with what their hobbies are, what they are looking forward to about starting at their secondary school and what they are worried about.
- An introductory Maths and Science course via our exciting and highly successful SPARX and Tassomai programme. These programmes are used to deliver Maths and Science at Isca Academy.
- A Knowledge Organiser ‘Getting to know your school’ and instructions on how to use cover, write, check to help your child familiarise themselves with their secondary school.
- A full transition programme that ensures the move between primary and secondary school is supported, personalised and one which recognises the needs of each individual child.
- A bespoke two day induction programme at the start of the autumn term to ensure a successful start for every child at Isca Academy.
Making transition safe and meaningful
As a trust we intend to offer both an enhanced virtual transition and on-site activities. We are hopeful that we can organise revised, socially distanced on-site transition days before September as the situation allows.
We will continue to keep you updated with the opportunities we can offer as things evolve in the coming weeks. Please be reassured that:
- Transition leads have met with the Year 6 teachers, SENDCo’s and other key staff to discuss every child joining their school and we are continuing to work with them throughout the transition process.
- Transition leads will continue to communicate with the primary school headteacher and Year 6 teachers to keep them informed of any new communications and developments of the transition and the opportunities that we will provide our young people.
- Virtual transitions have been launched and are evolving as an exciting introduction to your child’s new school.
- We are increasingly confident that we will be able to support students requiring enhanced transition on our schools’ sites before the end of term.
If you have any questions about starting at Isca Academy, please email them to Intake2021@iscaexeter.co.uk and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
The following staff can be contacted if you have specific questions:
Mrs Ali Moxey, Assistant Head, responsible for Transition, email@example.com
Mr Henry Goldson, Head of Year 7, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms Jodie Carter, SENDCo, responsible for enhanced transition, email@example.com
Mrs Janet Lee, Transition Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org
For a full list of uniform requirements please have a look at our Uniform page. To order uniform from our suppliers, please see the link below.
Year 6 Transition Course – Maths
As part of our transition offer to support your child, we are delighted to inform you that we have teamed up with Numerise to help our incoming Year 6 students get ready for Secondary School maths. This means, we will be providing FREE access to Numerise from SPARX, until September.
What is Numerise?
Numerise is the easy way to build confidence and learn maths online.
- Numerise is a support package created by SPARX to support individual learners in mathematics.
- 40,000 original questions with an explainer video for every one
- Personalised questions to suit every individual learner
- Daily challenges, XP, league tables, badges and goals keep things interesting
- Weekly emails and a unique dashboard make sure you as parents are able to track progress
- Courses from Year 6 through to GCSE
- Powered by Sparx Maths and HegartyMaths – used in 1,800+ secondary schools
Simply sign up online using the school code: ISCA100 to get started. Please ensure you use this code for the first time before the end of July or it will expire.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or MathsTransition@iscaexeter.co.uk
Year 6 Knowledge Organiser
A Year 6 Knowledge Organiser contains the essential information that all students starting at Isca Academy should know. We encourage all students to learn as much as possible to make their start with us in September much easier.
Download the Knowledge Organiser here
A Virtual tour of Isca Academy with Mr Goldson, Head of Year 7
Our letters and Information
We will keep copies of all the letters and information that we send out to you so you can refer to it if you need to.
Letter from Miss Mitchell, April 23rd 2021
Letter from Miss Mitchell, May 17th 2021
Admission Form – ONLY to be completed if you have received notification of a place at Isca Academy for September 2021
Transition Information Booklet
Letter from Miss Mitchell regarding our Extended Timetable Offer, May 25th 2021
Numerise letter – June 21st 2021
Update on Transition Letter – June 24th 2021
Uniform information – June 30th 2021
Science transition pack – July 9th 2021
Knowledge Organiser – July 9th 2021