Curriculum Statement of Intent
The curriculum is much more than just lessons. It includes the ethos, attitudes and relationships which create the family life of our school. Our aim is to provide a broad, balanced and rigorous curriculum that meets the needs and aspirations of every young person and leaves them well prepared for their future.
The Computer Science curriculum is planned to ensure that students are able to use IT systems effectively for school and home use. We strive towards students being able to apply Computer Science to the world around them and for them to understand the complexities which come with the rapid advancements of technology. It includes the opportunity for programming in 2 different languages, with the aim of building resilient learners who are comfortable taking risks. It also includes within KS3 opportunities to encounter iMedia skills so that they can make an informed choice at KS4.
The curriculum intends:
- To equip students with programming skills which they can apply to a range of programming problems and scenarios.
- To enable students to work independently on computer systems that will be in place within the world of work.
- To explore the ethical and cultural impact that computer science has on society as a whole.
- To allow our students to know it is ok to be stuck – and develop their critical thinking skills.
- To harbour a culture of collaboration where students can work together towards a common goal – as would occur in any workplace.
- Through all of this, to cultivate a love of the subject that propels students towards a future interest in Computer Science.
|Curriculum overview: topics studied during each stage of the year.||Roadmap: an overview of the subject in a single image.|