Curriculum Statement of Intent
The curriculum is much more than just lessons. It includes the ethos, attitudes and relationships which create the family life of our school. Our aim is to provide a broad, balanced and rigorous curriculum that meets the needs and aspirations of every young person and leaves them well prepared for their future.
The History curriculum is planned to ensure that students are able to understand the diverse world in which they live. They will be delivered a knowledge rich curriculum that uses an enquiry led approach in order to understand both their local and global context. History at Isca is rigorous and uses current scholarship in order to improve literacy and develop key historical skills. Content is broad and engaging so as to ensure our students are given a curriculum offer that is relevant and appropriate for the modern world.
The curriculum intends:
1) To prepare our students for entering a world that is rapidly changing and will allow them to have an up-to-date and relevant understanding of the world of History and how it has shaped our today. Alongside this, we will teach our students through the medium of rich sources and interpretations, so that they are able to develop critical analysis skills, which will enable them to challenge the world around them and develop informed opinions.
2) To promote a love and appreciation for historical scholarship so as to improve literacy and develop key historical skills.
3) To clearly demonstrate the importance of a knowledge rich curriculum by embedding hand-selected historical knowledge and embedding it in History lessons.
4) To create engaged historians who enjoy studying the past.
5) To highlight the importance of researching both local, national and global histories.
6) To embed the histories of those whose stories have been neglected in the past.
|Curriculum overview: topics studied during each stage of the year.||Roadmap: an overview of the subject in a single image.|